Sunday 10 July 2011

Signs of high summer


The sun is beating down, the narrow streets in town are getting more crowded, and the locals are muttering darkly in supermarket queues about the seasonal influx of foreigners, and worse - Parisians. British and American voices can be heard in passing at every market in Provence. On the roads, we remember just in time what masters of the unexpected Belgian drivers can be.

And on walls and in shop windows everywhere, posters have appeared advertising the summer's entertainments. There are village parties open to all, starting with boules tournaments, progressing to two nights of dancing under the stars and ending with vide greniers, the "attic clear-out" sales on the streets and village squares that provide such rich pickings of shabby chic artefacts.

There are serious concerts in superb settings such as the hilltop castles at Gordes and Lacoste, recitals in churches, and village bands in the squares under the trees. Then there are the food evenings, involving vins et fromages (wines and cheeses) and soupe au pistou (a soup with tomatoes, garlic and basil) accompanied by musical entertainments. Truly, there is something for everyone.


PS. For some reason Blogger won't upload any of my recent photos, and trying to do so is sending me mad this morning! But I'm so aware that my blogging has been patchy to say the least of late, so I'm determined to post something, even if it is with last year's pictures. I may revisit later and attempt a reconciliation with Blogger...


It's working! I'm going in to try for another!


Hurray! And when there's no more space for posters on walls and in windows, they're pinned to headless men who walk around town...


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moi qui aime passionnément la Provence, je prends grand plaisir, à te lire, Deborrah, et à comprendre tes impressions. Comme tu es étrangère, le moindre émerveillement prend une ampleur particulière.
Bon dimanche!

Julia Munroe Martin said...

I love your description of high summer -- of the locals muttering about the seasonal influx of foreigners! The same happens here in our tourist culture of Maine, the locals talking about people "from away." Still, as you say, it brings more activities: something for everyone. Nice post! (and p.s. my neighbor is biking through Provence right now! :)

K said...

Fantastic description of summer! This time of year is similar here, there are a lot more germans, french and English around than normal. Whilst that's not good for going to the supermarket, it brings the town to life.

Great Post!

Muriel said...

OMG! Are you spending the summer in Provence? Too many people there in summer for me...when are you getting a French passport? BTW I bought "The Lantern" and read it on my way to France. I loved it, and I especially liked how you described the tense family relationships. Somehow family ties are heavier in Provence. I don't know why. I could also smell a bit of Provence with your book. The smell of my childhood.

versus said...

Bon dimanche !
j' ai visionné la video de la recension de votre roman sur les sensations...Formidable assurément !

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I love this .... summer is my absolute favorite time of year... there is just so much to do and see!

Elizabeth Young said...

Hi Deborah, wonderful to hear about Summer in Provence. Sounds absolutely wonderful! I have been having issues with Blogger also, I think it was because of their new changes (note to self: if it's not broken don't fix it!) People were not able to comment on my last post so were commenting on the one before. How's that for old fashioned womanly ingenuity?! LOL Best Wishes to you Deborah. Enjoy the Summer and your success after all your hard work, Elizabeth.

aguja said...

Hello! I am visiting you for the first time - and love what I see and read.
I have sent you an email, too.

Tina L. Hook said...

I enjoyed listening to your novel excerpt. If you interested in writing a letter to my readers I would be happy to post it and link back to your novel.

Samantha Sotto said...

Provence sounds like a lovely place to spend the summer! :D

BookGeek said...

I love summer! So much to do here it Pittsburgh, PA.

Anonymous said...

It sounds very much like here in the southwest, where the activity in July and August is almost frenetic. Then someone turns off the switch on 1st Sept and it all goes back to normal.

I've just finished The Lantern and greatly enjoyed it. The intertwining of the two womens' stories was fascinating. I couldn't put it down. There were so many things I recognised from your blog, too. I hope it's doing well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...