Saturday 15 December 2012

Gothic iced


Some eerie effects left by the heavy overnight frosts this week...here's a padlock on old shed door bound with iced cobwebs. My eye is drawn to the funnel-like hole above the bar - why does this seem the creepiest part of the picture? Possibly because the thickness of the web shows the door has not been opened in a while (what secrets are behind it?) and there are intriguing contrasts in texture between the rotting wood, the cold steel of the lock and the fragile white lace of the threads. Definitely one for the writer's notebook.

I found some even thicker ice cobwebs hanging from an outdoor lantern:


 
In fact, everywhere I looked I could see more filigree picked out by the frost as the sun struggled to rise through thick wintry clouds of cold air.
 


 

 

6 comments:

Bunched Undies said...

Such beautiful pictures Deborah, thank you for posting.

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

These are gorgeous photos. Just fantastic--intriguing and mysterious.

Lynne with an e said...

Chillingly captivating images!

Marcheline said...

I don't think I've ever seen photos of iced cobwebs in my life... and here you have bunches! Beautiful... makes me think how cool a line of jewelry based on this would be. Tiny diamond cobwebs... stretching from neck to earlobes, maybe? Draping across décolletage?

Sara Louise said...

I've never seen anything more creepy and beautiful! :)

Muriel said...

Great pictures! Have a merry Christmas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...