Wednesday 12 February 2014

The Sea Garden: UK cover

 
Here it is...the Orion cover for The Sea Garden, to be published in a few months' time. I think it's beautiful, and that old house is almost exactly what was in my head as I invented a villa on the southern French island of Porquerolles, with its garden on the cusp of running to wilderness above the sea. 
 
There are some very clever detailed touches, and I particularly like the painterly effect in the sky and the bay behind with background hills. It seems to me to have just the right atmosphere of slight foreboding despite the sun and bright blue, with that dense bank of trees and bushes casting shadows all the way up the path. The grey band around it seems to give the impression of looking into an old bevelled-edged mirror.
 
But over to you...what do you think? Are you interested, as I am, in how it reflects the differences between the US and UK markets? (The US cover is in the blog's column to the right.) Will you be intrigued and want to pick it up in a bookshop, even if you knew nothing about it? Perhaps this blurb from Sarah Blake, who wrote one of my favourite reads of recent years, The Postmistress, might clinch it: 
 
"THE SEA GARDEN weaves a double spell, and honestly, it got me right from the start. Lawrenson steeps her story of the invisible heroes of the French Resistance crossing borders - and here, crossing time - deep in the eerie beauty of the South of France. The result is a marvellous strange fruit: think Graham Greene served up with a dash of Poe."

15 comments:

Evelyn said...

I get an entirely different feel from the UK cover. It seems more mysterious and with the planes in the sky, it hints at a bit of history as well as some action. Even though I'm American, I would choose the book with the UK cover over the American one as it makes me think it will be about history, a mysterious mansion by the sea, maybe a romance. While I adore wisteria, the American cover is more 'generic' the novel could be about almost anything

Anonymous said...

The covers seem to appeal to me in different ways and while on a given day I would be in the mood for the book behind the US cover, on a different day I would be in the mood for the book behind the UK cover. At this very moment in time, the US cover is intriguing me more. Can't wait!

Gill Edwards said...

wow thats some blurb, very complimentary. There is a huge difference between the two covers isnt there but i have to say i much prefer the UK one. The house is intriguing and makes me want to know whats behind the shutters and the planes in the sky set the age and scene.
cant wait to get a copy.
Gill x

Bunched Undies said...

I love the UK cover. The war planes overhead give it a sense of time and impending peril. I think it will appeal to a broad range of readers. The Sarah Blake quote would certainly seal the deal for me; well done all around.

Lisa Erin said...

Very nice...I look forward to reading it! Hope all is well with you. :)

Amanda said...

I love both covers but particularly the UK one with its "vintage" feel. Sarah Blake's blurb is really beautiful. I really cannot wait to read "The sea garden".

Anonymous said...

Even though I'm in the US, I definitely prefer the UK cover. It draws me in not only to read the book, but as a place I'd like to live.
Laura

Marcheline said...

Completely unsurprisingly, I love the UK cover best. It's perfect.

I'm a New Yorker, but I usually prefer all things British over all things American. TV, film, and single malt included. And now book covers!

Cornflower said...

I'd be drawn by both covers, but I think the UK one has the edge - a greater degree of mystery and atmosphere, that house ...Can't wait!

Sara Louise said...

I think both covers are lovely but I actually prefer the UK one which is funny since I'm American :)

HeidiInHolland said...

I love the cover. I am excited to be able to read this book soon. I hope I will love it as well as your last one.

Greetings from Holland,
Heidi

Louise P said...

I love the UK cover - It has character and the house with its typical Provencal vegetation -somewhat overgrown, suggests mystery and a sense of isolation." The past is a dangerous enemy' intrigues - but you also sense that the book is going to send shivers down your spine and raise the hairs on your arms.. What date is The Sea garden being released?
Louise

Deborah Lawrenson said...

Thank you all for the great comments - Orion have done a great job, haven't they. The publication date is listed as the end of July in the UK, and in June in the US. Only a few months longer!

Barbara said...

That cover has some kind of hold over my heart! I can’t wait to get hold of a copy and start reading. The US version doesn’t appeal to me at all.

josina said...

Love the UK cover, colour and especially the house.

Waiting to see it appear!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...