Tuesday 25 February 2014

Tiles of desire


Right, that's it. Got soaked in the rain again today and I've had enough winter now. I want to be magically transported into summer and the places where these French tiles might signpost. You can just imagine them now...the garden of delights...a shady spot for a siesta under the trees...the little cabin...the cistus farmhouse...mimosa...the herb-scented garrigue...the perfect place for an aperitif... 
 
Not that I've ever actually seen these tiles cemented into walls of houses and gardens in Provence - they're a tourist thing, really. But they make such an evocative display all together, such colours and images conjured by a few resonant words, that you can't help but stop and dream awhile of sunnier days. 

 

8 comments:

Evelyn said...

The weather in this part of France hasn't been a whole lot better than yours in England! 'Way more rain and clouds than blue skies and sun. I like these little tiles. I've never seen them around this area; they must be a Provencal thing. I'll have to check for them next times I'm in Provence.

K said...

The weather here in Spain has been a bit suspect lately, but it seems as if spring is finally starting to make an appearance! The colours of the tiles would look great in the summer sun.

Libby said...

What a wonderful, colorful way to suggest warmer weather! I love these. I guess I've seen some of them in various markets, but I love the entire collection together! Spring can't come soon enough...

Barbara said...

Outside my window is sunshine – but it’s also raining – how does that happen? Silly weather, come on spring enough of the wet stuff already!!
These pretty tiles certainly make me think of sunshine and holidays.

aguja said...

Hi Deborah! The tiles are wonderful and the hope is that each will be claimed and set in an appropriate spot.

Marcheline said...

If I had the money, I'd buy them all, and build a garden wall incorporating each one of them, perhaps separated by a bit of flagstone or slate. It would be a patchwork wall of garden dreams.

Muriel said...

We are all so tired of the rain in London! I love the colours of the tiles. I agree, it puts a little bit of sunshine in our minds.

Sara Louise said...

I have a photo of tiles like that snapped at Apt market :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...