Sunday 5 October 2014

The world's most expensive perfume


This is an extraordinary bottle of perfume. Created by British perfumer Clive Christian for the opening of the Salon de Parfum boutique at Harrods in London, it contains his No1 perfume and has a price tag of £143,000. Yes, you read that right.

Under normal circumstances, the scent is marketed as 'the world's most expensive perfume' at £450 for a standard bottle of the fragrance. But this special edition features the signature crystal bottle covered in hand-crafted, 24 carat gold lattice-work and diamonds.

Called the No1 Passant Guardant, this scent is advertised as "uniquely 
expensive" and created with no reference to cost to contain "the most rare and precious ingredients". I'm sure there are some people in the world to whom this will appeal enormously. Personally, I'd be more interested in what these ingredients are and what the fragrance smells like but that information seems to be a closely-guarded secret on the retail websites.

All right, I know we should regard this as a triumph of marketing, and perhaps the bottle itself as a work of art. But I can't help but think I'd rather have a good artisan perfume, or a local distillation from the lavender fields. Something you can actually imagine before you even open the bottle to try it.

4 comments:

Gill Edwards said...

I'd love the bottle but minus the scent as i have a too sensitive nose and am allergic to musk in perfumes. I only have to walk into a shop with a perfume counter and my head throbs.
Gorgeous gold work though

Gill x

Yvonne Osborne said...

The bottle is pretty but I'd rather have a good bottle of wine! And a friend to share it with.

Marcheline said...

A few thoughts strike me at once. First, the only reason a perfume should be expensive is that the ingredients are extremely hard to procure. Not because of a label or a designer name. Second, this seems more a case of "most expensive perfume BOTTLE" than "best perfume ever". Meh.

I'm with you - give me something earthy that I love the smell of, even if it comes in a brown glass vial.

I'm also with Yvonne. Give me a delicious bottle of wine and they can keep their gold and diamond encrusted silliness.

I can guarantee you one thing. The person that buys that bottle of perfume will not be any happier five seconds after they buy it than they were five seconds before they bought it.

Deborah Lawrenson said...

I agree with you on every point, Marcheline!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...